The very full and excellent week

Posted in Miscellaneous at 7:48 pm by Grandma O

     This week could go down in some sort of record book for our lives. So many exciting events and so many spiritual blessings happened in just a few days that it’s really amazing. I will try to begin on Monday and go right through today.
     Last Monday was Memorial Day. Many times we have attended a speeches and flag waving activity at the Veteran’s wall. Dan had a Doctor appointment first thing in the morning and we had lots of projects so didn’t go this year. It was just nice to have the day off from work. Dr. Boston agreed that Dan probably does have gout or pseudo-gout but doesn’t know absolutely without blood work. It’s a shame and also kind of funny that Dan has gone to many doctors, no one has ever suggested that, and he had to diagnose himself from info and pictures on the Internet! I worked outside a little preparing my garden beds and Dan and I both cleaned the upper hall. We have used the areas between our apartment doors and the back stairs as “de facto” storage areas and now it is looking 100% improved when we come upstairs to our apartment. I also went shopping with Bonny and got material to make her a veil for her wedding. We had a lot of fun looking at little white beads and other goodies and laughing about things together.
     On Tuesday, Hallie Nicole O’Barr was born down in Nevada. It was a long night for Connie (and Danny!) since the doctor had started to induce the labor on Monday afternoon. She was 6 lbs. 13 oz. so she is a petite little thing. In reports from Danny she is doing very well and is a good baby. I’m sure Connie is happy to have that over—I can remember that feeling myself. Also on Tuesday, I went to the endocrinologist who had all the tests run on me and he was able to tell me that my biopsy was negative. I was reasonably sure that would be true, but it’s always a relief to have it absolutely diagnosed. Now I have the appointment to take the “poison pill” on June 26th. I wanted to wait until after Bonny’s wedding when I wouldn’t be around a lot of people.
     Little Gunner in Idaho had surgery on Thursday. In all the other things going on, I don’t remember exactly when I talked to Johnny. Poor Gunner has had a lot of ear infections and they removed his adenoids and replaced the tubes in his ears. It sounds like he had problems like Grandma had. It was supposedly because of numerous ear infections that I had radiation therapy on my adenoids. I know that once one of the doctors that my mom worked for commented that Johnny and some of the other kids had a sort of “bend” in one of their Eustachian tubes which contributed to pain and congestion when they got upper respiratory illness. It must be a hereditary problem. He is doing really good according to Johnny and went right back to the preschool he is attending.
      On Thursday, we had the appraisers come by to look at the apartment. Dan stayed home and went to work late to be here and he said the two guys seemed to be fairly impressed and said it was it very good condition for the age of the building. Hopefully, we will get a good rating from it. We talked to the loan officer and she said our credit was good enough so that was a relief, too.
     Now, for the really interesting miracle of the week. Several weeks ago, Dan went in to see Dr. Nolan, his ortho doctor, because of severe leg and back pain. He had numerous x-rays done and they looked absolutely awful. He had a major curvature and I said it looked like a squished “S” but Dan thought it was more like a horseshoe shape. Dan has been going to therapy pretty faithfully for a several weeks plus he fixed up our massage table with a borrowed “chi” machine. That is a machine about the size of a small toaster oven that has two large grooves to put your ankles in. You lie on your back and turn it on and it shakes you back and forth like a fish swimming. He has been doing somewhat better but we decided to have him see a Dr. Spencer who is in the same practice as Dr. Nolan but specializes in back issues. So on Friday he had his appointment. Up on the board he slapped Dan’s x-rays from several weeks ago. I sort of squinted at them and asked the doctor—“Are these the same x-rays that were taken last time?” After he double checked the name, etc., I was sort of puzzled. The doctor explained lots of details about Dan’s back, made further suggestions and said to continue with the therapy. After we walked out, I turned to Dan and started to question him and he said, “Yeah, I was going to ask you the same thing!” His back only looked like it had a small curve to it! We are witnesses to each other since we both saw it! Now we know how his back could be better but how could the x-rays be different? We headed over to the restaurant where we were meeting people from our ward for dinner before going to the Temple. We were both feeling pretty high spiritually but the Temple was frosting on the cake. Dan and I felt gratitude that is beyond expression. Then we actually went to the Dairy Queen like we used to do in Arizona after going to the Temple.
     On Saturday, I finished planting my front beds, put together some flower containers for the entry and generally spruced things up outside. The peas I planted over a week ago are coming up like crazy but I see no sign of the wildflowers! Maybe they have a really long germination rate. Oh well, I have enough other flowers that is looks great anyway. Another thing that made me happy was the dozens of earthworms that were everywhere I was digging. The soil feels pretty good and I have added hundreds of pounds of extra potting soil over the years so I guess it is built up pretty good.
     One of the happiest things to happen in our ward is a new family of Samoans who moved here from Hawaii. There name is something like Talusaulaa but they said everyone can just call them Bro.T or Sis.T. Actually we call them Wendell and Patsy because we became very good friends immediately. She is a great big hugging type person who kisses everyone on the cheek. They released the High Priest Group leader who had made life uncomfortable for Dan and put in this new guy. We were so happy and have rejoiced over this. Even though it has been raining all week, we feel like sunshine and happiness. Today it cleared up, so this evening it looks like a green paradise outside.

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.